No matter what you write about, you need inspiration. There is inspiration all around us. Things we see everyday have inspired books, blogs and even scripts for movies.
To get you started, I have listed 15 ways to help inspire your writing.
15 Ways to Find Inspiration for Your Writing
1. Get out and live – Most writing ideas come from everyday things. I find so many things to write about when I am out driving, going to the store or even taking my kids to doctor’s appointments. One example is the post James wrote on how to get out to become a better blogger.
2. Books – Writers are also readers; to write, one must also read. Looking at your current collection of books, going to the bookstore or even looking at the selection at your favorite online bookseller can find you inspiration for your writing. I know I got lots of inspiration while reading Stephen King on Writing (Amazon Affiliate link).
3. Children and family – I am a father and husband. I love my children and love spending time with them in any way I can. On a daily basis, they inspire me to become a better father and my wife inspires me to become a better husband. I try to post my adventures in parenting when I can.
4. Try Something New – Do you have a routine? Do you do everything the same way everyday? Try changing it up a bit and see what happens. Change the route of your daily drive or get up earlier to enjoy the morning. See what kind of inspiration you get by changing things up.
5. Exercise – Now, this one really does work. I am trying to get myself back on the exercise track soon. Last year, I lost a lot of weight by exercising; I had so much energy and I never had a shortage of writing inspiration. Try going out for a walk or ride your bike around the neighborhood; see what ideas you come up with.
6. Networking – There are so many ways to network with other people. You can network online and outside in the real world. To network online, I use Twitter and other social networks. I also find new people to connect with at places like conferences, bookstores and even while buying groceries. I love interacting with people; networking with other people is a great way to find new inspiration for your writing.
7. Movies and TV – I love movies and some TV. There are times a great line from someone or the plot of the movie may inspire me to write something from it. Movies and some TV are about taking you away from the real world and into a world of endless possibilities. I found many, many things to write about when I watched Office Space for the first time.
8. Other blogs and web sites – I love this one. There are many writers out there that have great ideas. Reading what they have can help inspire new ideas for your writing.
9. Other conversations – What do I mean by this one? Have you heard other conversations while in a coffee shop, store or your own home? Sometimes these conversations will bring up new and interesting ideas for writing.
10. News – News is all around us; it comes to us from the Internet, TV, newspapers and radio. Many writers write on news of the day. You should take a look at what’s happening in the world and take away some ideas for yourself.
11. Music – For me, music is a way to pick up my mood and inspire my writing. It’s not for everyone though. Try to play the type of music you enjoy.
12. Pictures – Have you ever seen a photo and wondered what the story was behind it? Why not create the story yourself? Try it and let me know what you create.
13. Keep a journal – Keep a notebook with you to jot down notes wherever you are. I have a Moleskine notebook as well as a voice recorder to capture ideas. When you need some inspiration, go back to that journal and use it for your writing.
14. Give yourself a deadline – Give yourself a deadline to get your projects completed. Many writers create lots of ideas when they have a deadline they have to meet.
15. Bookmarks – Take a look at your bookmarks on your computer and your social bookmarking sites like Del.icio.us for inspiration. I know some that have hundreds of thousands of bookmarks stored away.
Although there are many other ways to find inspiration for writing, this is a good start to lead you in the right direction.
How do you find inspiration for your writing?
Photo credit: dbdbrobot